Bacon Fried Rice is easy to make with simple ingredients and in minutes. It’s a hearty and tasty one-pot dish that’s perfect for breakfast or anytime you need a quick meal.
I came home late today from running errands and after a mad search of the fridge, only a pound of bacon rashers and days-old leftover rice presented possibilities for a fast meal. I was famished, they had to do.
I gave them a quick work in the wok and presto! An awesome one-bowl comfort food studded with smoky bacon goodness. I guess it proves to show the simple things are indeed some of the best things in life.
What you’ll need
This stir-fried rice is a clean-your-fridge kind of recipe. I used bacon and eggs for the protein and onions, garlic, and scallions for color and boost of flavor, but feel free to add whatever odds and ends you have on hand to make the dish more substantial.
Some good vegetables you can use are frozen peas and carrots, cut corn, diced bell peppers, or mushrooms. If you want to bulk up the protein, you can also add diced Spam or ham, shrimp, or chicken.
- If you want to turn the dish into a low-carb option, you can swap the long-grain rice with riced cauliflower.
- Cold, day-old cooked rice is best for fried rice. If using freshly cooked rice, spread on a baking sheet, and refrigerate for about 20 to 30 minutes to completely cool.
- Cook on high heat to prevent the rice from sticking to the surface and adds a nice toasty flavor.
- Add soy sauce sparingly as excess liquid or moisture might turn the rice mushy. Correct the taste with salt as needed.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of sesame oil during the last minutes of cooking to quickly enhance flavor and aroma.
How to serve and store
- Bacon fried rice is delicious as a side dish or as a complete breakfast or dinner meal.
- Store leftovers in a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheat in the microwave at 2 to 3-minute intervals until completely warmed, stirring between intervals to distribute heat.
- 4 cups cold, cooked white rice
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten